Lymphedema is a condition that can occur when the lymphatic system is damaged. This condition results from a buildup of fluid in your lymphatic system, resulting in swelling. Lymphedema can be caused by many underlying conditions. At H2 Health network, we specialize in the holistic treatment of lymphedema and its underlying causes.
Symptoms of Lymphedema
If you or your loved ones are experiencing lymphedema, you might experience the following symptoms:
- Swelling of your limbs and fingers
- Pitting on the swollen limbs
- Feeling of heaviness in different areas of body
- Recurrent infections due to impaired clearance of bacteria
- Fibrosis or hardening/thickening of the skin
These signs and symptoms may vary in severity from person to person.
Conditions We Treat
The lymphatic system is a network of vessels and nodes that helps circulate lymph fluid throughout the body. Lymph fluid is rich in white blood cells, which helps to fight infection and disease. Lymphedema can occur in any part of the body, but it is most commonly seen in the arms or legs. In some cases, lymphedema can be painful or debilitating. However, there are treatments available that can help reduce the swelling and improve your quality of life.
In simple terms, whenever there is a blockage anywhere in the lymphatic flow, lymphedema may occur. The blockade could be due to compression, inadequate emptying, or excess lymph production due to fluid overload.
There are two primary types of lymphedemas: primary and secondary. Primary lymphedema is a congenital condition, meaning that it is present from birth. Secondary lymphedema is caused by damage to the lymphatic system, usually as a result of infection, surgery, or radiation therapy
Here are some causes of lymphedema that H2 Health treats:
- Cancer or tumors – Tumors usually compress the lymphatic vessels. Intuitively, this leads to lymph fluid back-up and lymphedema.
- Radiation therapy – Radiation therapy may scar the lymph nodes or lymphatic channels. It classically appears years after radiation. For instance, women may experience severe lymphedema after the treatment of breast cancer.
- Parasitic infections – There are certain parasites that may cause lymphedema
- Surgery – Resection of the lymph nodes or part of the lymphatic channels may block the lymphatic channels, leading to lymphedema.
Although there may be different reasons for the buildup of lymph fluid in your body, H2 Health’s therapist will promptly and thoroughly diagnose your condition. With therapies like physical therapy, occupational therapy, cupping, and massages, our team will reduce your lymphedema through holistic measures. Call us today at (800) 699-9395 for an appointment or request an online appointment to get the right solution for your condition. We also serve many communities. Find out your nearest location on our user-friendly locations page.